Mold Exposure in Pets — What are the Signs and Treatment?
Mold spores are harmful to pets just as they are to humans. Knowing whether your pet has been exposed to these microorganisms is critical to their health and wellness.Schedule Free Inspection
Just like you, the pets in your Grand Junction, CO, home are vulnerable to mold allergies and infections. In fact, they suffer more serious health problems due to the fact they have weak immune systems. When they get a mold-related infection, their behavior and demeanor will change. Pets won’t tell you they’re sick or need medical attention. If you rarely pay attention to them or monitor their health, their conditions could worsen quickly.
What Are the Signs of Mold Exposure?
Anytime pets get exposed to mold, they will have a reaction. Depending on their age and health condition, the signs could range from mild to severe. In some cases, an emergency. If your pet inhales mold spores, it’s going to exhibit these signs:
- Runny nose
- Itchy and runny eyes
- Skin infections
- Persistent scratching
- Coughs and wheezing sounds
- Nose/mouth bleeding
Mold can also cause gastrointestinal problems to pets when ingested. A pet with a healthy appetite may lose its desire for food. Some pets will have loose bowels or vomit without a reason.
Continuous mold exposure can cause seizures and tremors. Cats in particular will become agitated or anxious due to allergies. Birds will pluck out their feathers in order to soothe the irritation they’re experiencing.
Dogs and cats that have been exposed to mold are also known to shake their ears and heads. Some of the pets may also chew their paws. Chronic ear infections, smelly skins, and hair loss are other signs that may emerge after mold exposure.
Treating Your Pet
There are several species of mold, so it’s quite hard for an ordinary pet owner to pinpoint the one that’s afflicting their pet. If you suspect your pet has been exposed to mold, book an appointment with your vet.
The vet will check the animal and prescribe drugs like antihistamines to alleviate the allergies and antibiotics to fight off the infections. In some cases, blood tests will be performed to determine liver function. Pets that are seriously ill will require around-the-clock care.
Many pets recover fully when they get proper treatment after exposure. To prevent a re-infection, you should eradicate the mold in your home and eliminate factors such as excess moisture that encourage its growth. Failure to do so means your pet will get exposed to virulent strains of mold again, which can damage their organs and lead to death.
Where does mold grow? Mold spores are all around you. These microorganisms live in the attic, drains, bathrooms, basements, and even the crawl space. You will also find them near windows where pets like to bask in the sun. Some mold species are mild and harmless, while others like black mold are deadly. This type hit the headlines in 2007 when a vet discovered it was responsible for the deaths of two cats.
When mold invades your Grand Junction, CO, home, it won’t just make your pets sick. It’s going to attack floor joists and wooden beams in below-the-grade areas that support your floors. Within no time, your home will lose its structural integrity. In addition to causing damage, mold also reduces the value of your property. Prospects will shy away when they realize there are mold problems that need to be solved. In severe cases, mold remediation will cost you a lot of money. You can avoid this and other mold-related problems by keeping water and moisture out of your basement or crawl space.
Should I Remove Mold?
No, leave it to mold removal experts as they have the experience and equipment to remove mold. They will inspect your home, identify the mold type you’re dealing with, then eliminate it properly. Your home will be completely mold-free, no one will get exposed to mold, and there’ll be no more fear of mold re-infestation. You and your loved ones will live and breathe easy. What’s more, pets can go down to their playing area in the basement.
If you’d like to stop mold growth and prevent pet infections, waterproof your basement or crawl space. These are moisture-prone areas in many homes. Our experts are happy to provide you with a free inspection and repair quote along with recommendations to keep your home dry all year round.
Last Modified Date: